Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Day 6 Homework PH experiment!

Use the pH paper to develop a table and graph of the pH of common things around your home.
Think in terms of at least 10 different liquids.

Item
Ph Number
Chicken Dumpling Soup
6
Silva
7
Pears in a Can
5
Mouthwash
5
Water
7
Perfume
5
Shampoo
4
Conditioner
7
Hand Sanitizer
6
Pepto Bismol
5
Light Zesty Italian Dressing
3
Cranberry Apple Juice
2
Milk
7
Creamer
7
Wrinkle releaser
7
Hair Spray
7
Shout
8
Nasal  Spray
8
Nail Polish
3
Clear Mascara
8
Graph:



Develop an experiment to see how much antacid is needed to neutralize an acidic liquid.

I used the most acidic liquid which was Cranberry Apple Juice. I put 1/4 cup of juice into a container. I then mixed a Tums with 1/2 cup of water in a water bottle. I first started out by adding 1/2 teaspoon into the juice and tested the paper. The paper was still a deep red, therefore I knew I had to add more tums water to make make the liquid neutral. Then I added 1 teaspoon of tums liquid. and continued that process four times. Still, the paper got lighter but not yellow.  Next, I poured in 2 teaspoons into the mixture twice. The paper got lighter and lighter, reaching the neutral color on the pH scale.

No comments:

Post a Comment