Monday, January 10, 2011

Homework Day 1 1/10/11

Develop a model for you favorite atom or element. Post a picture, diagram, video and description of this model. Be sure to include all of the particles and some how model their behavior and characteristics.



I choose Neon because my favorite color is lime green! I learned a lot about this element, but my favorite fact is that neon is a colorless noble gas. In the diagram I made I used blue to represent all the neutrons, purple to show the protons, and orange to represent the electrons. The nucleus consists of ten protons and ten neutrons. There are two rings for electrons eight on the outside ring and two on the side ring. I created this model by using the atomic number of 10 for the protons, and subtracting the atomic mass from the elements atomic number to get the number of electrons. From what I found out is that not all the electrons can share the same ring and that the electrons have to be paired up. Neon is a very light gas, not toxic and in its truest form neon is a reddish orange color in light. The neon signs display the gas in a tube but does not reflect neon's true color.

1 comment: